Here’s a guide on how to remove Activate Windows on Windows 11/10. Microsoft Windows is an operating system developed by Microsoft. It can be used on personal computers and tablets. The company allows anyone to download it for free without a product key or license.
But, it definitely comes with some limitations, one of which is that you will see the watermark “Activate Windows” when using your computer or tablet if you haven’t activated it.
If you are using a trial version of Windows 11/10, you may notice a watermark in the bottom right corner of the screen that says “Activate WindowsOn the operating system, the watermark is displayed on every window and application that you open.
Also read: How to Change Desktop Icons in Windows 11
Without activating Windows, you will not be able to customize your desktop or receive Windows Defender updates. Also, the Activate Windows watermark will be visible everywhere.
In this article I will provide several ways to remove Activate Windows in Windows 11/10 through Powershell, Registry editor, notepad and Universal Watermark Disabler software.
- How to Remove Activate Windows with Universal Watermark Disabler
- How to Remove Activate Windows via Powershell
- How to Remove Activate Windows via Registry editor
- How to Remove Activate Windows via Notepad
- Buy License
1. How to Remove Activate Windows with Universal Watermark Disabler
Universal Watermark Disabler is a popular tool that lets you show or hide watermarks from beta or dev copies of Windows 11.
Here’s how to remove the Activate Windows watermark in Windows 11/10 with Universal Watermark Disabler:
1. Download Universal Watermark Disabler from here.
2. Now, right click the file uwd.zip and select Extract all.
3. Now, double click the file usd.exe to open it.
4. Click button Install.
5. Read the warning message and then click Yes.
6. Click ok to get out of.
Now, when you log in to your PC, you will not see the Activate Windows watermark anymore.
If you want to bring up the watermark again, run Universal Watermark Disabler, and this time you press the button Uninstall. Now, you will see the Activate Windows watermark again.
Also read: How to Enable Auto HDR on Windows 11 PC/Laptop
2. How to Remove Activate Windows via Powershell
The second way we use Windows Powershell to remove the Activate Windows watermark in Windows 11/10. Here are some easy steps that you need to implement.
1. First of all, open Windows search and type Powershell. Right click on Windows Powershell and select Run as administrator.
2. In Windows PowerShell Window, you need to run the command given below and press Enter key.
3. After finishing, restart your computer.
This will renew the trial period offered by Microsoft. You will not see the Activate Windows watermark on your screen during the trial period.
Also read: How to Enable Spatial Sound on Windows 11 PC/laptop
3. How to Remove Activate Windows via Registry editor
In this way, we use Windows Registry Editor to remove Activate Windows watermark in Windows 11/10. Here are some easy steps that you need to follow.
1. First, press the button Windows+R to open the Run dialog box. In the RUN dialog box, type: regedit and press Enter key.
2. In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following path:
Computer > HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Control Panel > Desktop
3. In the right pane, find the key PaintDesktopVersion and double click.
4. In column Value datainsert 0 and click the button “ok“.
After making the changes, restart your PC to remove the Activate Windows watermark.
4. How to Remove Activate Windows via Notepad
Notepad can also be used to remove the Activate Windows watermark. This is what you need to do.
1. First of all, open Notepad and enter the script shared below.
@echo off taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe explorer.exe exit
2. Now click on option File > Save as.
3. You need to save Notepad with extension .bat. For example: activate.bat.
4. To remove the Activate Windows watermark, right click on the .bat file and select an option Run as administrator.
The script will refresh your computer and will remove the activated Windows Activate watermark.
Also read: How to Switch Dark Mode / Light Mode Automatically in Windows 11
5. Purchase License
Since the Activate Windows watermark appears in the trial version of Windows, you can purchase the license to remove the watermark.
This seems to be the easiest option to remove the Activate Windows watermark. You can buy Windows 11/10 license from Microsoft Store directly.
What if you don’t activate Windows?
Even though Windows is free, before using its full functionality you have to activate it. The features that might be affected when you don’t activate Windows are as follows:
- Features and settings Personalization not available on Windows operating system. It will prevent you from changing your wallpaper, background screen on your device, your lock screen, and changing themes.
- Some features and applications may stop working.
- When you use Windows, you will get an annoying notification in the bottom right corner of your screen telling you to activate it which can be annoying when you are busy. There will always be a link where it says “Activate Windows. Go to Settings to active Windows“, which is annoying.
- You may not be able to enjoy your movies, video games and work due to the watermark.
- The watermark will always appear in screenshots and video recordings.
That’s how to remove the Activate Windows watermark in Windows 11/10. I hope this article helped you! Thank you for visiting and don’t forget if you find this article useful, please share it with your friends too.