Here’s a guide on how to activate the screen saver in Windows 11. A screen saver is a moving image or pattern that appears on your monitor when you are not actively using the computer. Learn how to enable screen saver on your Windows 11 PC/laptop computer.
Screen savers have long been a part of the Windows operating system, although there has been no improvement since Windows 7. Microsoft includes screen savers in Windows 7 and its successors.
The same can be said for Windows 11. The screen saver included in Windows 11 is the same as the one included in Windows 7, and nothing has changed. Microsoft shows no interest in updating it due to its low popularity.
Few people realize that Windows 11 also has a screen saver feature. It’s turned off by default as it’s not needed on today’s modern PCs.
It was first introduced to prevent screen burn-in (in Cathode Ray Tube displays) caused by non-uniform consumption of display pixels over time.
Most people still use it to secure their computer when they are not using it.
How to Enable Screen Saver in Windows 11
How to enable screen saver on Windows 11 PC/laptop? Turning on the screensaver is relatively easy in Windows 11. You just have to follow these steps:
1. Open the app Settings by pressing the button
windows+i from the keyboard.
2. In the Settings window that opens, click on a category
Personalization from the left side panel.
3. In the Personalization right side pane, click on Lock Screen.
4. Now, click on the option Screen saver.
5. After performing the above steps, the Screen Saver Settings window will open. select screensaver which you want from the drop-down menu.
6. Next, if you want to customize the selected screen saver, click on the button Settings next to the selected screen saver. If customization is possible on the selected screen saver, a new pop-up window will open; otherwise you will see, ”
This screen saver has no options that you can set “.
7. Before applying the screen saver, click on the button Preview if you want to take a quick look. While the screen saver is being previewed, pressing any key from the keyboard will exit the preview.
8. Next, set number of minutes to wait for Windows 11 before displaying the screen saver. The default value is set to 1 minute, but it allows you to change the waiting time by clicking the up and down arrow keys, or even you can select the value manually by typing between 1 and 9999.
Next, check the box On resume, display logon screen. When you are away from your PC, this feature will protect your account with a password.
After enabling the screen saver, you will be asked to enter a password or some other method of logging in when you try to log in to your account.
9. Finally, click the button Apply then ok.
Once done, when your PC will be idle for the specified time which you have set, the screen saver will activate automatically and protect your PC from unauthorized access.
Also read: How to Disable Windows 11 Sleep Mode
Other Ways to Enable Screen Saver in Windows 11
1. If you don’t want to enable or disable screen saver via Settings app, click button Start from the taskbar or press the button
windows+s to open the Search menu. In the search box, type change screen saver.
2. Click on change screen saver to open the Screen Saver Settings window. Now, repeat the above steps from step 5 to configure the screen saver.
3. If you want to disable or turn off the screen saver on your Windows 11 computer, on the Screen Saver Settings window, select it from the drop-down menu. Then, uncheck the box ”
On resume, display logon screen.”
4. Finally, click the button Apply and then ok. Now, the screensaver will not protect your computer.
How to Create a Screen Saver Shortcut on the Windows 11 Desktop
If you are one of those Windows users who frequently change Screen saver on your PC and want to create a desktop icon for this, do the following steps:-
1. Right-click on an empty space on the desktop and select New then select option Shortcuts.
2. In the Create Shortcut wizard, copy and paste the following text:-
3. Click on Next at the bottom of the screen.
4. Name the shortcut with the name Screen Saver.
5. Finally, click the button Finish.
Once you complete the above steps, a Screen saver shortcut is created on your PC desktop. By double clicking on this shortcut, you can access Screen Saver Settings.
That’s how to enable screen saver in Windows 11. I hope this article helped you! Thank you for visiting and don’t forget if you find this article useful, please share it with your friends too.