This tutorial covers how to hide photos and videos in Google Photos using Locked Folder, a cool new feature that’s worth checking out.
All Google Photos users are wondering if their photos and videos can be hidden or private? So, it’s good to see if you can make photos more private and prevent them from showing up in Google Photos app.
That’s why I’m going to show you how to hide your photos and videos in the Google Photos app on your phone and computer.
Also read: How to Edit Videos Using Google Photos
Google Photos now offers a direct way to hide photos and videos on your phone and PC with its new feature called Locked Folder. So, here’s a guide on how to use it.
How to hide photos and videos in Google Photos with Locked Folder
Here’s how to use Google Photos Locked Folder to hide your photos and videos, but first make sure your Google Photos app is updated:
1. You must first set up “Locked Folder” to be able to use it. To do that, open Google Photos, switch to tab “Gallery” from the bottom navigation bar, and tap section “Utilities“.
2. Once you are there, scroll down until you find the option “Locked Folder“. You will find the Locked Folder under the section “Organize Your Gallery“.
3. You will now have to confirm the screen lock of your device to access the Locked Folder. After successful authentication, you will get access to the feature and can start moving your sensitive photo and video files into this folder.
How to move photos or videos to Locked Folder
After setting up the Locked Folder, you are ready to move your photo and video files to hide them from prying eyes.
1. To move photos and videos to the Locked Folder in Google Photos, select photo or video and tap vertical three-dot menu (Others) in the upper right corner
2. After that, select “Move to Locked Folder“.
3. When the confirmation appears, tap “Move” to hide your pictures and videos.
Save Photos Directly to Locked Folder
If you have a Pixel smartphone, you can even save new pictures or videos directly to the Locked Folder. Here’s how to do it:
1. Open the Pixel Camera app and tap the icon Folder in the top right corner.
2. You will now see two options – Photo gallery and Locked Folder. Tap “Locked Folder” to set it as the default destination for your images and videos.
3. And after that, pictures captured with Locked Folder turned on will automatically be hidden from your gallery. However, you have the option of “Move” in the preview if you want to quickly move the image to your gallery.
How to access photos or videos in Locked Folder
You can still view and open the photos or videos that you moved to the Locked Folder, here’s how to do it:
1. Open the Google Photos app, tap the tab Gallery > Utilities > Locked Folder.
2. Tap Locked Folder and enter lock screen your cell phone.
3. After that, the photos and videos that you have hidden will appear automatically.
Google Photos Locked Folder Restrictions
There is a major limitation in Google Photos Locked Folder feature that you should be aware of before using it – all hidden images are stored locally. You cannot sync hidden files across your devices with Google Photos.
As a result, you cannot back up sensitive images to cloud as soon as you move them to Locked Folder. If you have already backed up, Google Photos will delete the cloud backup of these files.
Google has taken this step to prevent accidental exposure of your sensitive photos and videos. Apart from that, Google will also automatically delete this hidden media from your existing memory and will no longer show it on Google smart screen.
That is something that you should keep in mind before using Locked Folder in Google Photos.
That’s how to hide photos and videos in Google Photos. I hope this article helped you! Thank you for visiting and don’t forget if you find this article useful, please share it with your friends too.